Scott A. Hill,
Theoretical Physicist and Educator
Looking for my
(It's still in preparation.)
Questions were rated from 1 meaning
"strongly agree", through 5 meaning "strongly disagree".
| ||PHYS 2140 Spring 2015 ||PHYS 2140 Fall 2014 ||PHYS 2070 Fall 2014 ||PHYS 2140 Fall 2013 ||PHYS 3410 Spring 2012 ||PHYS 2140 Spring 2012 ||PHYS 2130 Spring 2012 ||PHYS 2140 Fall 2011
|The syllabus was adequate and complete.
|| 1.17 || || ||1.38 ||1.45 ||1.25 ||1.34 ||1.19
|The instructor was readily available for questions and consultation.
||1.22 || || ||1.21 ||1.36 ||1.35 ||1.36 ||1.14
|The lectures were clear and understandable.
||1.13 ||1.08 ||1.47 ||1.14 ||1.36 ||1.29 ||1.41 ||1.18
|The instructor was prompt in beginning and ending the class.
||1.40 ||1.15 ||1.38 ||1.31 ||1.55 ||1.38 ||1.72 ||1.19
|Enough time was alloted in class to discuss questions.
||1.19 ||1.06 ||1.59 ||1.24 ||1.36 ||1.34 ||1.43 ||1.21
|The exams covered the course material adequately and fairly
for the level of difficulty of the course.
||1.17 ||1.36 ||1.59 ||1.29 ||1.64 ||1.44 ||1.37 ||1.27
|Graded exams and assignments were returned within a reasonable
amount of time.
||1.24 ||1.09 ||1.35 ||1.36 ||1.45 ||1.64 ||1.85 ||1.22
|The instructor conveyed concern and interest about your learning.
||1.12 ||1.15 ||1.76 ||1.22 ||1.45 ||1.34 ||1.40 ||1.21
|The instructor showed enthusiasm for the course material.
||1.08 ||1.23 ||1.59 ||1.05 ||1.09 ||1.12 ||1.16 ||1.05
|Compared to other science lecturers, this instructor was very good.
||1.06 ||1.08 ||1.35 ||1.10 ||1.27 ||1.10 ||1.36 ||1.06
|Compared to other similar science courses, this course was
||1.42 ||1.02 ||1.06 ||1.63 ||1.90 ||1.73 ||1.70 ||1.71
||1.20 ||1.14 ||1.46 ||1.27 ||1.44 ||1.36 ||1.46 ||1.22
- Hello! I'm writing to you because I wanted to let you know how much I, as well as other students, appreciated your teaching this past semester for Physics 2140. You have a fantastic way of simplistically explaining topics and ensuring students comprehend them completely. Your website has also been a life-saver for many who occasionally need to miss a class for other priorities. Your review materials and exams are concise and ensure students understood the material that you taught. I personally loved how your exams were structured. They were by no means easy (aside from exam 1) but if students studied for them and understood the concepts that were taught, then the exam grades reflected that. Too many professors artificially increase the difficulty of their exams by creating trick questions or not effectively informing students of the study material.
Long story short, I just wanted to thank you for keeping it simple and for being a pleasant refreshment in my college career. You're a very gifted teacher. --S.M.B., May 2015
- I just wanted to take the time to properly appreciate one of your
outstanding professors. Professor Scott Hill did an amazing job
this semester. He is definitely the top professor that I have had
since I have attended The University of Toledo. Every day he
consistently kept my aspirations high and helped me strive to
learn more and more in the field of physics. He also astounded me
with his particularly great animations that helped me understand
physics even better than what his lectures could explain. I also
enjoyed his expert use with a tablet/projector combo. He was able
to quickly draw and explain everything in lecture. Once the
lecture was over, he even posted those very notes online. With
that, I could easily look back at his notes after class and
understand more than what I did from class. On another note,
anytime I needed help, he was quick to respond to my emails day or
night. Professor Hill even offered an IM session in case we needed
help but couldn’t meet him face to face. He helped me receive a
concrete foundation in the field of physics and I hope he
continues to have the opportunity to teach at the University of
Toledo for years to come. My appreciate goes out to Professor
Scott Hill as he is truly a wonderful professor. --J.D.S., December 2012
Some comments from anonymous student evaluations:
- This is probably the first two-hour lecture where I didn't
feel like I was wasting away at the hour mark. Everything was
engaging and informative. All info was easy to pull up on
website, but attending lectures still felt valuable.
- This was one of the best classes I took at UT. The lectures were very understandable and I felt I learned a great deal from this class.
- Scott Hill was easily one of the best instructors I've ever had. He legitimately cared about what the students learned and was great at teaching the material. He is very enthusiastic and made lectures enjoyable.
- Instructor showed a passion for physics. Very interesting class.
- This man is good. Last semester I was barely able to keep my head above water in terms of understanding Physics 1. I never felt lost in this class. Professor Hill is one of the best, if not the best professor I have ever had. I'd take his class day, night, rain, snow, hell or high water. He should teach Physics 1 and 2 because he presents material clearly and it's important to have a solid foundation in the fundamentals before moving forward in physics.
- The best professor I had yet at UT; would like to see him more at this school. He cares about students and their understanding and is very enthusiastic.
- Dr. Hill is one of the best professors UT has to offer. He understands the students and has the lectures available if we miss class which is wonderful.
- Great teacher, easy to understand, enjoyed the class and is very flexible and understanding.
- Prof Hill is arguably the best profssor I have had at UT so far. He is a very intelligent, fair teacher who I would recommend to everyone.
- The course instructor [was] really organized. The quizzes helped to reinforce my understanding and keep me on track. I appreciate the website and being able to access note lectures.
- Some comments at ratemyprofessors.com